Urban Growler™ Brewing Company is a women owned and brewed packaging microbrewery in St. Paul, MN.
The main responsibility for this position is to manage the daily operations of our Taproom, including the development and performance of Taproom employees. In addition, they will fulfill and exceed guests’ expectations by providing friendly and attentive service. The
Assistant Taproom Manager reports to the Taproom Manager and General Manager.
- Creating a safe and inclusive space for connections to occur. Able to interact with guests and co-workers in a friendly, professional and efficient manner.
- Strive to provide service in such a way that every guest feels warm, welcome and included.
- Create a memorable first and last impression, and therefore applicants for
Assistant Taproom Manager must have the desire to go above and beyond guest expectations.
- Supports Urban Growler’s sustainability goals by following all Urban Growler sustainability practices.
- Must have a passion for craft beer, the craft beer industry, and for learning the details of the beers we produce and our general business operations.
- Work together as a team with all staff members to provide an impressive and lasting experience that our guest will tell their friends about.
- Help build a sense of community amongst the Urban Growler staff and our Urban
- Be dedicated to quality and strive for continuous improvement in all you do.
- Educate guests and employees about our products, company and culture.
- Assist the Taproom Manager in maintaining inventory, forecast inventory needs and assist in analyzing trends (visitors, events, beer, and merchandising).
- Demonstrate through your work, Urban Growler Principles and Beliefs and
Manager standards and expectations.
- Promotes recognition of FOH staff and motivates the FOH team.
- Assist the Taproom Manager and Marketing Department with promoting the
Taproom and selling Urban Growler products and services.
- Check your ego at the door and behave in a humble, truthful, and honest way.
The Assistant Taproom Manager will work closely with the Taproom Manager in the following areas:
Food safety and planning
- Adhere to company standards and service levels to increase sales and minimize costs, including food, beer, supply and labor costs.
- Maintain a professional taproom image through enforcement of sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, proper uniform and appearance standards and maintenance of bar, beer garden and taproom areas.
- Ensure compliance with Urban Growler operational policies, procedures and standards.
- Ensures Workplace Safety, Minnesota Department of Health Codes, Americans with
Disabilities Act, and company safety and security policies are met.
- Completes accident reports promptly in the event that a guest or employee is injured.
- Manage shifts, which include: daily decision making, scheduling, and planning, while upholding Urban Growler Principles and Beliefs, product quality and cleanliness.
- Investigate and resolve complaints concerning food quality and service, taking all appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied guests into return guests.
- Ability to troubleshoot tap line systems, kegs and kegerators.
- Knowing when to ask questions, offer solutions, discuss issues and escalate problems – and communicating effectively in these situations.
- Ability to work independently but also know when to seek direction or guidance, appropriately and as needed.
- Retail math understanding required.
- Attention to detail and adherence to standard operating procedures with minimal deviation.
- Willing to take initiative and jump in where needed. Is resourceful in making suggestions and offering solutions.
- Provide direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
- Assist in the hiring, supervision, development and discipline of employees.
- Develop employees by providing ongoing feedback, enforcing performance expectations and by conducting performance reviews.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date plan of taproom staffing needs. Prepare schedules and ensure that the taproom is staffed for all shifts.
- Keeps Taproom Manager and General Manager promptly and fully informed of all issues
(i.e. problems, unusual matters of significance and positive events) and take prompt corrective action where necessary or suggest alternative courses of action.
- Operates and understands core functions of the POS systems and assists in training users.
- Completes job responsibilities and performance objectives in a timely and effective manner and in accordance with Urban Growler policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with Taproom Manager in creating and leading monthly continuing education activities for FOH staff.
- Responsible for sending out monthly suggestion request and checking and sorting through the suggestion and peer cheer jar.
- Accurately completes the FOH staffing schedule and consistently maintains a 3-week out
- Other duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
- Education: High school diploma or GED.
- Experience: 2+ years of bar/restaurant/taproom serving experience. 1+ year of full service restaurant management experience.
- Retail point-of-sales system knowledge and experience required.
- Knowledge of computers and computer software (MS Office, Google Docs).
- Self-discipline, initiative, teamwork and leadership skills are essential.
- Proficient in the following dimensions of restaurant functions: food service, safe food handling, sanitation, security, company policies and procedures, personnel management, and recordkeeping.
- Ability to motivate employees to work as a team to ensure that food, beer, and service meet appropriate standards.
- Handling of cash, credit cards, and cash registers.
- Time management and customer service skills a must.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Must be solution-conscious.
- Integrity, honesty and intelligence.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and willing and able to be around alcohol responsibly.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be TIPS certified within 30 days of hire.
- Must be ServSafe Food Handler certified within 30 days of hire.
This position oversees 12+ employees each shift
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position operates in a restaurant setting. The noise level in the work environment can be loud. The employee may be exposed to hazards including, but not limited to, cuts, tripping, falls, burns, and chemicals. Frequent hand washing is required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping and crouching. The position may require occasional lifting of products weighing up to 55 pounds; pushing or pulling products weighing up to 165 pounds. Hours may vary if manager must fill in for their employees or if emergencies arise. Reasonable accommodations will be provided.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This position regularly requires long hours, day and evening hours, holidays, weekends and events work.
Urban Growler is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our brewery. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, disability, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Job Type: Full-time
- retail management: 1 year (Preferred)
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Management: 2 years (Preferred)
- Store Discounts
- One location
- Health insurance
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- Achievement-oriented — enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.