Stone Brewing is looking for a Bad Ass Brew Master to lead our Production Brewery in Richmond Virginia.
• ensure the smooth, efficient production operations in the brewing department
• identify and focus on key performance indicators to improve the business operation of brewing bad ass beer
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Provide proactive leadership for team safety through team feedback, regular floor walks/inspections, and root cause analysis for Near Hits and Safety Incidents.
- Ensure a safe work environment and a culture that embraces safe work habits, understanding of the risks, compliance with regulations, and prioritizing corrective action of any identified safety hazards or risks.
- Evaluate staffing requirements, determine skill set and experience required for each role to keep the department fully staffed and trained.
- Drive an aggressive training program that not only provides opportunities for the team and supports professional growth and development, but also maximizes flexibility with scheduling and skillsets.
- Develop methods to educate the team on Stone beers, quality management and problem solving.
- Serve as a resource and be available for Team Members at all levels. Encourage Process Improvement Initiatives and input from all levels.
- Conduct monthly individual and team meetings to assess and maintain performance of staff. Distribute safety, company wide, and department information as required.
- Evaluate and interpret wort and beer quality on a daily basis, with regard to analytical results, process consistency, and taste. Implement changes to improve processes, recipes, beer flavor and consistency. Evaluate new ingredients and processes.
- Identify brewing process and beer quality issues and develop systematic cause and effect approach to solutions.
- Ensure that core beers match the established flavor targets and develop corrective action when undesired flavor trends are noted.
- Develop annual ingredient requirements and work with Director of Brewery Operations, Procurement, and vendors to secure highest quality, competitively priced ingredients based on brewing projections.
- Ensure HACCP, GMPs and specific Stone Procedures are followed at all times.
Brewing Department Management:
- Ensure standard, consistent and sound brewing procedures and practices are used for all Brewing Department tasks.
- Ensure that all equipment and operating systems are of sufficient capacity, reliable, and contribute positively to the quality of our beer.
- Ensure that Production Areas are clean and organized at all times
- Ensure Team Members have the tools, knowledge, and equipment required to do their jobs.
- Exceed customer expectations when delivering services, products, and information to other departments and external customers.
- Be a resource for equipment maintenance, reliability and lead process optimization.
- Develop annual budget and track expenses vs budget on a monthly basis; if possible, adjust expenses as needed to meet stated financial goals.
- Seek to reduce operating costs whenever possible without compromising quality, safety or efficiency.
- Conduct return on investment analyses when required in support of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Provide quick response to system issues that impact production quality and/or quantity
- Establish and maintain a collaborative, partnering, team-oriented work environment both within brewing and with all other Stone departments.
- Maintain Brewing staffing levels. Work with Human Resources to identify candidates and conduct interviews within 2 weeks of staffing gaps being identified.
- Maximize cross-training and work assignments to the extent possible and rotate individuals to improve redundancy in all areas.
- Ensure responsible use of brewing resources by reducing process loss throughout the brewing, fermenting and finishing operations.
- Manage the brew plan ensure brewing scheduling and production fulfill company requirements. Ensure beer supply is sufficient, quality is high, and that appropriate inventory levels are maintained. Manage yeast and other brewing ingredients in support of the brew plan.
- Own brewing capacity calculations and update as brand mix changes and improvement initiatives dictate changes.
- Identify opportunities for and drive continuous process improvement throughout the entire brewing process. Attack the 8 Wastes with passion.
- Work to establish preventative maintenance checklists to be performed by Brewing staff. Coordinate with Maintenance and IT to integrate this into ServiceNow and normal brewing operations. Work with Maintenance to conduct necessary preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Work with Maintenance to develop and implement supporting equipment, parts, documentation, systems and operations. Drive cleaning and organizational values in Brewing at all times. Regularly perform inspections to verify these are consistently being met.
- Develop standardized programs, KPIs/metrics and reports to ensure process operating performance, ongoing improvements, risk identification, visibility and closed loop learning (e.g., design modifications).
- Work with Brewing team and Engineering to develop SOPs and TOPs for all process operations.
- Provide leadership for innovation, creativity, and unique approaches to opportunities and issues.
- Partner with Innovation Team to scale up new beers from pilot scale to full production. Ensure ingredients and processes are scalable.
- Seek out opportunities for new products, ingredients, brewing techniques, technical developments, and processes.
- Foster and drive an environment of Continuous Improvement with regard to Team Member performance, beer consistency and quality, production processes, and Departmental strategy and goals. Document, maintain, and track continuous improvements including but not limited to process improvements, operational efficiency improvements (5S/Lean), small projects and capital improvements.
- Coordinate with Engineering to implement Capital Projects; Maintenance to schedule required preventive maintenance downtime and inspections.
- Collaborate with Sales, Planning and Logistics to assist in developing long term production plans.
- Develop and maintain 3-year plan to increase efficiency. Update plan annually. Plan will include capital and lean projects to increase efficiency. Work with Engineering to add these projects to the CapEx forecasts if warranted.
- Support local, national and international events (beer dinners, beer events, festivals, and sales visits) as required and requested to assist Sales Team and Regional Representatives.
- Be an ambassador for Stone Brewing in the craft brewing community by supporting Brewers Association, Master Brewers Association, and other professional organizations’ events and activities.
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, preferably in Engineering or Science, or one that applies to brewing science. Experience: At least 10 years of directly related experience in Brewery management; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have a proven track record in brewery and/or food plant operations management, project and process improvement management. Must have proven experience with process control and troubleshooting techniques. Must have detailed knowledge of the brewing process as well as automated brewing systems and industrial utility systems including refrigeration, boiler operation, CO2 distribution and collection and brewing water treatment. Must have the ability to recognize beer off-flavors-causes and develop/implement corrective actions. Knowledge of QA techniques and beer analytics required.
Proficiency with office and project management tools including Microsoft Project, SharePoint, MS Office Suite, etc. Experience w/ Microsoft Dynamics AX preferred, or other ERP systems preferred.
Stone Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Pre-employment background check, drug screening, and physical are required.
To apply for this job please visit stonebrewing.atsondemand.com.