The most qualified candidate will become part the Tin Whiskers Brewing Company team and will report directly to the President. Head Brewer participates in all facets of brewhouse and cellar operations and including but not limited to raw material ordering, wort production, yeast management, record keeping, inventory management, QC, and fermentation management. Head Brewer manages other brewers, sets schedule, and has oversight of the brewery area.
- Degree in Fermentation Science or completion of a brewing-science program
- 5 years or more experience in a production brewery or brewpub
- Flexible work schedule: day, night shifts
- Strong communication, planning, problem solving, and organizational skills
- MN Boiler Operator License or able to get one in 60days from hire
- Strong leader, committed to pursuing further education, a passion for details, hard working, determined, efficient and responsible.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Wort production, scheduling and forecasting ~220BBLS/month
- Work with President on scheduling of batches
- Ordering of raw material to ensure it arrives to maintain production schedule (forecasting)
- Maintain paperwork in an accurate and timely manner in Ekos.
- Design new beers and brewing a series of pilot batches to prove out concept
- Leads seasonal and one off beer brand recipe design and deviations.
- Works closely with restaurants and bars on custom beers.
- Packaging: keg and 16oz can packaging using mobile canner
- Fermentation management with doing daily checks of gravity and sensory panels after primary fermentation is completed.
- Experience running a centrifuge
- Manage the barrel program.
- Firkin filling adhering to CAMRA definitions
- Actively find improvements for the beer and our processes and write up change orders to present to the President for approval
- Adhere to Safe Practices and lead by example.
- Spent grain removal from property
- Yeast cell counting and viability testing
- C02 and DO testing
- Perform quality control and quality assurance testing (includes sensory panels, measurements, data collection)
- Help lead quality programs including taste panels, lab sampling, brewing and fermentation logs
- Provide work direction and supervision for brewers and assistant brewers.
- Do annual performance reviews for staff that report to Head Brewer
- Hire and train staff that report to Head Brewer
- Cooler management/organization
- Inventory management and controls
- Design and enforce brewery safety program
- Write and maintain SOPs for the brewery
- Update brewery SDS
- Communication and coordination with marketing department for beer releases and events.
- Brewery equipment maintenance program
- Communicate efficiently with all staff and management.
- Cooperage maintenance
- Keeping the brewery clean and organized at all times
- Attending beer festivals and events
Skills – Technical:
Proficient in the following aspects of brewing technology:
- wort production and processes, recipe design,
- keg, bottle, can packaging processes, keg washing,
- operation of Centrifuge,
- yeast propagation and management,
- brewery production management,
- training in off flavor detection and prevention,
- boiler operation,
- brewery CIP,
- QA/QC compliant,
- draught line installation, draught line cleaning,
- working knowledge of HVAC plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems,
- Ekos brewery software,
- barrel filling,
- and cooperage maintenance.
Skills – Admin/Soft
- Able to train and teach staff
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to develop and maintain SOPs
- Strong leader
- Report on status and any issues.
- Problem solver that digs in to find root cause of issues.
- Must be able to lift 55 lbs and move 165 lbs occasionally
- Must be able to stand for 8-12 hours per day
- Must be competent with MS Office
- Able to learn and effectively use Ekos, our brewery management software
- Have had sensory training and participated on sensory panels
- Must have excellent time management
- Must be able to enjoy making great high quality beer
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Compensation will be based on education and experience. Tin Whiskers does offer subsidized health insurance for employees and retirement match. Tin Whiskers also offers paid vacation (2 week), and paid holidays. Position is salary for a full-time 40hrs+.
Please note that this job description is not definitive and may be modified to reflect changing needs.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,000.00 to $48,000.00 /year
- brewing: 4 years (Required)
- Saint Paul, MN 55101 (Preferred)
- english (Required)
- United States (Required)
- Morning (Preferred)
- Mid-Day (Preferred)
- Evening (Preferred)
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.