The Research & Development Brewer will be critical in the development, execution, and measurement of our Innovation brewing equipment. The R&D Brewer competently monitors all brewery operations that produce all of our research and development brews. The position is responsible for moving brands forward through ABV’s Stage Gate process from inception of idea to large scale production of final product.
Reports to: The Director of Brewing Operations
- Execute all brewing, cellar, and packaging work required by Victory’s Innovation Brewing program.
- Work directly with the Dir. Of Brewing Operations and brewery leadership staff on the creation of beer concepts, ideas, and recipes.
- Code, monitor, and communicate brand developments as they progress through ABV’s Stage Gate process.
- Manage and communicate a production schedule built out in at least 2 week increments.
- Maintain a clean and organized work, dispensing, and raw material areas. Be mindful that all R&D brewing operations will be tour-viewable at all times, and maintain a cleanliness to support.
- Manage raw material inventories working with the Materials Coordinator for malt needs, Brewing Manager Barnabas Sclafani for specific hop needs.
- Work with VBC hop farmer on brewing with locally grown varietals, specifically utilizing samples from VBC grown hops.
- Review and record brewery paperwork including brewsheets, filtration sheets, production logs, and their accompanying quality documents. Support TTB reporting needs around all R&D production.
- Work with the brewery management staff on brand/process improvements and implementing those actions into our SOP’s.
- Continuously work to refine our existing brands, be proactive in seeking out opportunities to improve aroma, flavor, and shelf stability.
- Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of environment and equipment in accordance with VBC’s QA/QC standards.
- Possess and maintain proficient lab knowledge to measure cell health, pitch rates, ABV analysis, BU analysis, and color analysis.
- Develop SOP’s to get consistent results that are scalable to our larger brewing operations.
- Prepare samples and organize tastings as needed to support decision making and product development.
- Coordinate all maintenance needs with Maintenance Manager, maintaining a proactive preventative maintenance mentality towards equipment.
- Champion VBC safety protocols in all activities, participate in discussions and seek out improvements to VBC safety standards.
- Minimum 3 years of brewing experience in a production brewery producing at least 40,000 barrels per year.
- Maintain a flexible schedule that accommodates at least a 40-hour work week with ability to work weekends, overnights, etc. if necessary. Unneeded time for R&D operations should be actively used for other VBC production brewing needs.
- Ability to work in other production brewery areas including but not limited to the Brewhouse, Cellar, and Downingtown Operations.
- In depth experience with automated and manual brewing and cellaring systems.
- Demonstrated ability to follow preventative maintenance plans in a production environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Display both a sense of urgency and an upbeat attitude.
- High School Diploma or GED required; college degree in the applicable fields of Brewing Science, Food Science, Chemistry and Engineering considered a plus.
- Strong computer skills with advanced proficiency in Word, Excel & Power Point.
- Strong attention to details is required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Candidate should be able to lift at least 30lbs. from ground level and should also be able to move 165lbs. of kegged beer from one location to another. Candidate should be physically capable of standing for long periods of time and able to kneel, stoop, crouch or crawl.
Alcohol Responsibility – The candidate must fully understand that they are a representative of not only the company, but of the alcohol beverage industry. They are to conduct themselves within the limits of the law and with concern to the education of responsible consumption at all times. This includes working hours, trade shows, festivals and while entertaining in the name of the company or its affiliates. Any poor reflection or legal matters that may arise due to poor judgment may be dealt with by means of disciplinary action up to and including termination.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Victory Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- production brewing: 1 year (Required)
- brewing recipe creation/writing: 1 year (Required)
- Driver’s License (Required)
- United States (Required)
- Morning (Preferred)
- Mid-Day (Preferred)
- Evening (Preferred)
- Graveyard (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Gym memberships or discounts
- Employee discounts
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.